top of page

Responsibilities for Electrical Safety for Welsh Landlords

If you have a secure or standard occupation contract, the electrics in your home should be tested every five years. You should be given a copy of the electrical report within 14 days of your occupation contract starting. Landlords, renters, and owner-occupiers all have legal responsibilities when it comes to electrical safety. These are explained below.

What responsibilities do landlords have?

If you have a secure or standard occupation contract, your landlord must ensure:

  • that the electrics in your home are tested every five years

  • that you are provided with the electrical condition report within 14 days of your occupation contract starting

  • that the electrics in the property are safe when your occupation contract begins

  • that the electrics are maintained in a safe condition throughout your contract

  • ensure that any appliance provided is safe and has at least the CE or UKCA marking.

To meet these requirements, a landlord will need to regularly carry out basic safety checks to ensure that the electrical installation and appliances are safe and working. If your home was provided furnished with electrical appliances, then these appliances should also be PAT tested. Each tested appliance should have a PAT (portable appliance test) sticker showing the date it was tested.

Where can I find out more?

Electrical Safety First is a charity committed to reducing deaths and injuries through electrical accidents at home and work. Their website has lots of information on electrical safety as well as guidance on how to find and hire a registered electrician.

In Wales, all private landlords and agents of rented homes under a standard occupation contract must be registered and/or licensed with Rent Smart Wales. To keep and obtain a licence, a landlord must adhere to certain rules and recommendations, including electrical safety. If you are concerned about the electrics in your home and you have reported them to your landlord but nothing has been done, then you can:

  • report the matter to Rent Smart Wales, who will investigate

  • contact your local council's environmental health department, who can ensure your landlord is meeting their legal obligations and take enforcement action against them if they are found not to be

  • get help from Shelter Cymru.

What responsibilities do I have if I rent my home?

If you rent your home, you should:

  • watch out for danger signs and ensure all electrical equipment in your home is maintained and used properly

  • avoid using equipment or appliances that you think may be unsafe. If your landlord supplied the faulty equipment, report the disrepair to them

  • allow your landlord and/or an electrical contractor access to your home to carry out inspections and repairs. Your landlord should give you 24 hours' notice before coming around (unless it is an emergency)

  • You are also responsible for the condition and safety of any electrical appliances that you brought to the property yourself. If you are in any doubt about the safety of an appliance, get it tested or replaced.

What are my responsibilities if I own my home?

If you own your home, it is recommended that you:

  • arrange for an electrical inspection to be carried out every ten years

  • watch out for danger signs and ensure all electrical equipment in your home is maintained and used properly

  • ensure all repair and installation work is carried out properly.

  • Always use an electrician who is listed on the Registered Competent Persons website. This means that they are registered with a government-approved scheme and can issue a certificate to prove that the work has been done properly and is safe.

Whether you own or rent your home, there are some steps which you should always take to keep your home safe.

GMI Electrical Ltd is a fully accredited electrical contractor who is highly recommended by many landlords.

6 views0 comments


bottom of page